Monday, June 30, 2008

10 Days and Counting



It's HOT and it's been ten days since our thirty-year-old central air conditioner konked out for good. We also learned our furnace, also thirty, needs to be replaced. And it is best to replace both at the same time. Yikes! All I can say is $$$$$$. Ouch.

Several different companies gave us bids, all much too high. The reps were all talking numbers: SEERs, BTUs, voltage, whether we needed a two-ton or two-and-one-half ton unit. It sounded like Blah, Blah, Blah, to me. What's the bottom line? How much is it going to cost? That's the only number I understand, for Heavens Sake.

Getting financing is tricky because we just refinanced our house. And bought a new car. (Bad timing) For the time being, we have fans in every room and a window cooler in our bedroom. Frankly, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Maybe we'll forgo cooling and heating for a year! (That would certainly save on the utility bills!)



2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I'm hot just thinking about you. Heat makes me cranky and I can't think very well. We have air conditioning that is uneven so we're cold in the living room and hot in the bedroom (well, warm in the bedroom.) I have little fans in every room. I have to have a fan blowing on my face when I put on my makeup, and right now I have one blowing on my back and another on my neck and it's only 7:30 a.m.

I don't think I can visit your blog unless you have air-conditioning! It's supposed to be over 100 today!

Keri said...

Whew. Good thing your home isn't in Texas territory! You might have to consider selling an organ in order to pay for the new A/C! Slurpees are a great alternative.