Thursday, October 02, 2008

Puttin' on the Ritz

What do you wear to High Tea at the London Ritz Hotel?


The Ritz



Palm Court

On November 6th at 4:00 pm, I'll be in this dining room at the Ritz Hotel enjoying High Tea. It's the fanciest affair I will ever attend and I'll definitely feel out of place. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. So how does a hick from Utah walk into the Ritz without looking like Daisy on BBC's Keeping Up Appearances??



The Treats

How do I walk through the lounge without tripping? How do I eat cucumber sandwiches without dribbling down the front of my dress? Will I spill tea on the crisp white linen tablecloth? What do I say to the waiter? Will I commit some horrible faux pas which creates an International incident? Will the British compare me to Sarah Palin?


Do I need to wear a big hat?

The Queen never goes anywhere without a Big Hat.

Camilla never goes anywhere without a Big Hat.

Sophie Rhys-Jones never goes anywhere without a Big Hat.

Hyacinth Bucket (that's "bouquet") never goes anywhere without a Big Hat.

Even commoners wear Big Hats on special occasions!!


I LOVE BIG HATS.

How can I get a Big Hat in my luggage so I can wear it to the Ritz?

4 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I can't wait to see pictures of you in your hat!

I am so impressed with your exercise commitment. The first three days of any trip I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I'm so stiff from walking and so out of shape I can hardly move. I come home energized and ready for a walking regime to keep my new muscles toned, and I always drop the ball. You are very wise. You'll have energy from the very beginning.

I always figure I'd rather have great memories than a big savings account. And that's exactly what I have. It's fun to look back, but sometimes scary looking forward.

Keri said...

I love Daisy, though you'll not want to parrot her fashion ensembles. That might be considered an international crime.

What to wear at high tea? Certainly a hat (you could commission an Ikea designer to construct a pop-up hat that fits perfectly into your luggage... everything from Ikea 'folds' so nicely), but you should also find an outfit that resembles a great pair of floral curtains. At least, that's what our British relatives wear every time they've come to visit.

Good Luck!

kenju said...

You get a big old-fashioned hat box! I'd love to be having tea at the Palm Court. I had it once at the Palm Court in the Plaza in NYC, but I'[ve never been to England (more's the pity!!).

Thanks so much for following me. How did I ever miss your blog?

Pat said...

My grand- daughter recently had tea at the Ritz and bought a special pretty dress although she and her friends live in jeans.
Definitely a dress or two piece - I wouldn't risk trousers, however smart.
A hat would be good but not essential if you'd rather not. You want to be able to be comfortable and enjoy the experience but a good hair - do is more important.