Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Voted Early!


Infamous Voting Machine - No Hanging Chads


Yup, I voted early! For what it's worth, the damage is done. It's a shame my vote will not count for much. Utah is brazenly Republican. All five of our electoral votes will obviously go to McLame and Failin'. But I make no bones about the fact that I supported Obama even before he announced he was running.


When Obama gave a speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention, I said, "That's the man who should be running for president."

We live in a very Republican neighborhood and don't dare put an Obama sign in our yard for fear of alienating our neighbors. We avoid talking politics with our church friends, as if it is immoral, unChristian to be a Democrat. Well, here are some of the things I consider immoral:


  • I happen to feel it is immoral to wage an unprovoked war, to kill soldiers and civilians, to destroy buildings and infrastructures--all in the name of oil and GREED--at the cost of $255 million per day, $1.78 billion a week, or over $7 billion a month.

  • I happen to feel it is immoral that 45 million Americans do not have health insurance, especially considering the amount of $$ spent on the above. Please read TravelinOma's blog today, if you really want to hear lack of insurance problems.

  • I happen to feel it is immoral to give 700 billion dollars to the rich Wallstreet FatCats while there is such great need and poverty in our land.

  • I think it is immoral that our teachers are underpaid and our children are poorly educated.

The is much immorality in the government and I can't really put into words how strongly I feel about the necessity of CHANGE. We need more than change, we need an overhaul, a total revamping.


I voted early because I was going to be in London on Election Day. That trip, sadly, will not take place. Please remember that money is a problem for the middle class in the U.S. and vote for Barack Obama.


2 comments:

Keri said...

I love this post and the way you outlined the absolutely critical issues that need dealing with.

You really do live with a Republican majority. Though Texas almost always goes along with the red, things may be shifting somewhat. In my Ward, if you're not an Obama supporter, you are quickly converted. It's nice to express an opinion and not worry about the possible backlash.

I sure wish I was voting this year, and I'm sorry to hear about the cancelation of your trip. I would love to have seen some photo's of a giant hat at tea time.

Travelin'Oma said...

Why doesn't everyone realize King Benjamin sounds like a Democrat? I told a friend about a recipe I'd seen in the Tribune. She was horrified! "I thought only Democrats read the Tribune." So much for my reputation.

I'm so sad that your trip is off. I was excited for you!